USE LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLE SECURITY (LPS) TO DOWNLOAD ACTIVCLIENT or NO INSTALL CAC ACCESS (using your computer with an Intel processor)
Featured on ZDNet on 26 SEP 2011
Watch this video to see what LPS can help you with (once you have it installed following instructions below)
ActivClient (from ActivIdentity) allows your CAC-reader to communicate with Windows for strong authentication using smart cards and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). If you find ActivClient freely available on the Internet, It’s probably malware. ActivClient middleware is only available from within protected .mil sites thus creating a Catch-22; you need ActivClient installed to obtain ActivClient. Until now! By using the free Lightweight Portable Security – Public Edition (LPS-Public) CD (or via USB), you can “CAC-in,” download the file(s) to a USB thumb drive, then go back into Windows, and install ActivClient. Here’s how….
The following is abbreviated from the DoD Software Protection Initiative’s LPS Quick Start Guide and LPS User Manual on http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm and guidance from this site's ActivClient page and AKO’s CAC Reference Center. If you encounter problems, please consult these documents and sites first.
1. Create a bootable LPS-Public CD.
a) Download and save the LPS-Public ISO image from http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm.
b) Burn the .ISO file to a blank CD following these instructions: http://spi.dod.mil/lipose_burn.htm
the computer does not have a CD drive, LPS-Public contains a Windows script to make
LPS-Public boot from a USB thumb drive.
You’ll need to mount the .iso (make it appear to be a CD to the
computer) in order to run the script.
YouTube video on
setting up LPS to use USB flash drive
Watch YouTube video on setting up LPS to use USB flash drive
3. Restart your computer with the LPS CD in the drive. If LPS-Public doesn’t boot automatically, configure your computer to boot from CD. On a PC, change the boot priority to CD before the hard drive in the Boot Order menu or BIOS (image on left). On an [Intel processor based] Mac, hold down the “c” key immediately after hitting the power button.
4. If using Wi-Fi: Configure the Network Manager (screen’s lower right 2 PC icon)
5. If you have an SCR-331 CAC Reader, this is an excellent opportunity to update the firmware on the reader, read instructions at paragraph 5.6 on PDF page 36 (document page 34)
6. Insert your USB thumb drive to save your ActivClient onto. A shortcut should appear on the desktop.
7. Launch Firefox, Click DoD, Common Access Card (CAC) Information. CAC login to your military branch (links below), and download ActivClient. (If it fails, reloading the page often helps.) Save the file to your thumb drive.
Direct Download links to obtain ActivClient are listed below:
Army (32-bit - 220.127.116.11) - https://www.us.army.mil/suite/files/21154519
Army (64-bit - 18.104.22.168) - https://www.us.army.mil/suite/files/21154526
Coast Guard - https://cgportal2.uscg.mil/units/tiscom/Documents/remote_access.htm NOTE: Requires CAC login from your work computer
Marine Corps - https://www.mcnosc.usmc.mil/s3/PKI/Pages/CACforHomeUse.aspx
NOTE: In Firefox, Master Password equates to your CAC PIN
8. Download the latest DoD certificates https://militarycac.com/dodcerts.htm
9. Optional, download Lotus Forms and ApproveIt
Air Force users download your version of Lotus forms: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/viewerdownload.asp
Download "http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/LFViewer_40_Win32_EN.exe" under Software link
10. To quit, remove the CD and restart computer to return to your normal, unchanged Operating System. Keep the LPS-Public CD for travel, when using other computers, and in the event your hard drive crashes.
11. Install in Windows. Instructions for installing DoD certificates, ActivClient, Lotus Forms, and eSign on your Windows computer. Single page: https://MilitaryCAC.com/notes.htm
If you have questions or suggestions for this site, contact Michael J. Danberry
Are you interested in subscribing to the CACNews email list?
Last Update or Review: Sunday, 15 February 2015 11:33 hrs
The following domain
names all resolve to the same website: ChiefsCACSite.com,
CommonAccessCard.us, CommonAccessCard.info, & ChiefGeek.us
The following domain names all resolve to the same website: ChiefsCACSite.com, CommonAccessCard.us, CommonAccessCard.info, & ChiefGeek.us